Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Don't Miss the Salt

Located in the great Smokey Mountains of Gaitlinburg, Tennessee is the one and only Museum of Salt & Pepper Shakers.
When entering the museum I became overwhelmed with how many S&P shakers there were on display. I had no idea that there had even been that many different ones manufactured over the years but indeed there has been. The Salt & Pepper Shaker Museum has the goods to prove it.
Hall after hall is categorically filled with the owners personal collection. The collection includes everything ranging from kitschy 1970's pieces of fruit to expensive crystal sets. Not only does the museum boast over 20,000 shakers on display, it also has a wide variety of sets for sale in their gift shop. The museum also houses the largest pepper mill collection.
I even experienced a flashback moment to my childhood, when I looked over and saw a set that use to sit on my grandmother's kitchen table.
(The mouse sitting inside the cheese)
Another great thing about the museum is the admission fee... it's only $3.00 and is a self guided tour so you can look at the collection until your heart is content.

This Museum shouldn't be missed. It's fun, interesting and affordable. The Museum is open Monday-Sunday from 10:00am-4:00pm est.

4 comments:

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

This is so cute. I love these little "hole in the wall" places..sort of off the beaten track!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the Museum of Salt & Pepper Shakers

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Oh this is super cool. :)

tootie said...

This sounds like a museum I would love! My late grandmother had a huge salt and pepper shaker collection, and I used to love looking at all of them!